independent

Wednesday 16 April 2014

Roy Hodgson: John Terry is retired and retirement is retirement

John Terry has been in great form for Chelsea this season

England manager Roy Hodgson has ruled out the possibility of John Terry coming out of international retirement for the World Cup.

There has been a clamour for Terry to return to the England fold during the defender's successful season with Chelsea.

Hodgson says there is no question of him asking the former captain to play for the Three Lions in Brazil, however.

Hodgson said: "John has retired and as far as I am concerned that is the situation.

"We have got along without him for the whole of the qualification and quite a few friendly matches as well so we will have to get along without him in the future."

Terry has enjoyed a renaissance since Jose Mourinho came back to Stamford Bridge for a second spell as manager.

The 33-year-old centre-back's partnership with Gary Cahill has been particularly pleasing for the Chelsea boss and the club's fans, who have watched the Londoners climb to the top of the Barclays Premier League recently.

England's second highest goal scorer Gary Lineker led the calls for Terry's reintegration on Twitter last week when he posted: "Must be hugely tempting for Roy Hodgson to pick up the phone to John Terry. Solid regular partnership with (Gary) Cahill. Best option by far."

But to be clear on the matter, Hodgson reiterated his stance on Terry when quizzed about the 78-cap defender for a second time.

"As far as I am concerned retirement is retirement," Hodgson said.

"You respect that when players retire, we move on.

"We moved on after our first qualification game when John Terry limped off and since that time we have chosen the players who are available, who have represented us well in my opinion, so we will continue with that."

Terry called time on his England career in September 2012, accusing the Football Association of making his position within the international set-up "untenable" following its pursuit of a racism charge against him.

The FA banned Terry for four matches for racially abusing Anton Ferdinand in October 2012, but the defender was cleared of criminal charges regarding the matter.

Terry said "that doors is closed" when he was asked about a potential comeback in January.

Terry's stance has not changed since, and those close to the defender were miffed by recent reports that the Chelsea captain had made himself available for England's March friendly against Denmark - the final game the Three Lions play before Hodgson selects his provisional World Cup squad.

Hodgson selected a number of centre-backs for England's World Cup qualification campaign after Terry decided to call it a day.

Joleon Lescott, Chris Smalling, Steven Caulker and Phil Jones were used in that position before Hodgson appeared to settle on a first-choice pairing of Cahill and Phil Jagielka.

England conceded just four goals in their qualifying campaign after Terry retired.

Also in this Section

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Don't Miss

Top Stories

Celebrity News