Friday 9 December 2016

Pat Hickey and Kevin Mallon set to stand trial in Rio after judge accepted charges against them

Judge accepted charges against the Irish men and ordered their passports be retained

Published 10/09/2016 | 00:14

Pat Hickey leaves a police station
Pat Hickey leaves a police station

Pat Hickey and Kevin Mallon will be returned to jail if they breach any conditions imposed on them by a court in Rio de Janeiro.

  • Go To

On Friday night a Judge accepted charges against the Irish men and eight others over their alleged involvement in a ticket touting ring.

Kevin Mallon
Kevin Mallon

They are now set to stand trial in Rio.

In a statement on the court service website Judge Juliana Leal de Melo of the Fan and Major Events confirmed that she had accepted a recommendation by the public prosecutor Marcus Kac in Brazil.

Mr Hickey, who temporarily stood down as President of the Olympic Council of Ireland following his arrest on August 17, and THG director Mr Mallon have been ordered to appear at the headquarters of the Juvenile Court every 20 days and “justify their activities”.

They are required to observe a curfew from 10pm each night and are also prohibited from attending any events at the Paralympics.

The magistrate also retained the passports of the accused, who are forbidden to leave the country. The judge said that any breach of the precautionary measures will be “preventive detention”.

Read more: Full extent of Pat Hickey's close relationship with THG laid bare

Also charged with Mr Hickey and Mr Mallon are co-defendants Michael Glynn, Ken Murray, Eamonn Collins, Maarten Van Os, David Patrick Gilmore, Martin Studd, and Barbara Zancope Carnieri.

The ten defendants are charged with Criminal Organisation; Ticket Touting, Ambush Marketing, Larceny, Money Laundering, and Tax Evasion.

It is expected that it could be around one and a half years before a court case in Rio de Janeiro reaches fruition. Sources have suggested that the passports of the two Irish men could be returned in this interim, but any such decision rests with the Brazilian judiciary.

Police sources in Brazil last night confirmed that they had been informed of the decision but were awaiting receipt of formal papers.

Mr Mallon's solicitor Franklin Gomes said he too had not received copies of the decision but believed that this was the case.

The judge has ordered the return of passports to Kevin Kilty, Dermot Henihan and Stephen Martin.

Details were published on the official courts service website for Rio de Janeiro.

Read more: Hickey signed up 'tout' firm to sell tickets for next Olympics

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport