QPR boss Harry Redknapp thrilled with Remy deal
Published 16/01/2013 | 16:38
QPR boss Harry Redknapp believes Loic Remy has the potential to become a world-class striker after the club confirmed his signing from Marseille for a club record fee today.
The France international signed a four-and-a-half-year deal at Loftus Road after choosing the Barclays Premier League basement boys over Newcastle.
"I'm delighted to bring him in, he's a great buy for us," Redknapp told the club's official website. "I didn't think we'd get him to be honest but (chairman) Tony Fernandes worked ever so hard on this. He wouldn't give up on it, and it's great that we now have him here with us.
"He's always been a player I've admired. I've watched him on so many occasions throughout the last few years. I actually spent three or four hours with him last year so he knew what I thought of him, and I think that was important.
"He's quick, can score goals and makes great runs. His movement is excellent. He's got the potential to be a really outstanding striker.''
Remy, who has four goals in 17 games for France, is eligible to make his Rangers debut against West Ham on Saturday, subject to receiving international clearance.
He said: "Harry played a big part in me coming here. I spoke to him and Tony Fernandes at length and they made it clear they wanted me here. They gave me the right motivation to join QPR.
"I want to develop my game here. This season the objective is to stay up but beyond that we have greater objectives.
"After seven years in France, this is the right time for me to pursue a new challenge in the Premier League - the best league in the world.
"I am confident I can adapt to the Premier League. My main characteristics have taken me to the level I am at today but I am keen to keep improving in the Premier League.''
Meanwhile, FA Cup hero Jay Bothroyd wants to prove to Redknapp he has a future at QPR despite Remy's arrival.
The 30-year-old striker was loaned to Sheffield Wednesday by former boss Mark Hughes at the start of the season but returned to Loftus Road two weeks ago and marked his comeback with the only goal in last night's 1-0 victory over West Brom in an FA Cup third-round replay.
"I am really happy. It was my first start after coming back and I was happy with my performance," the former England international said.
"I was surprised to get a start but I have been working hard in training. My mentality has always been when I get an opportunity to do well.
"Everyone knows Harry is a very honest man and very fair. He hasn't closed the door on anyone.
"He said to me 'Keep your head down work hard, everyone knows you have the ability, you have to show it'. That was the opportunity I wanted, that's all you can hope for in football.
"I want to be here and stay with QPR. I want to help the club. I'm determined to be here, work hard for my spot.
"Since I have been back, it is clear everyone has an opportunity and it is a clean slate. If you can impress the manager, he will give you an opportunity."
Last night's win followed on from a 1-0 victory at Chelsea and a goalless draw with Spurs, and Redknapp says he cannot fault the approach of the players since his arrival.
"It is now three clean sheets on the spin now which is encouraging, with the win at Chelsea and the draw at Tottenham and now the cup win," Redknapp said.
"At least we are picking up some good results and some clean sheets. We are getting the best out of the players at the moment.
"There are certain parts of the team that can improve in terms of aspects of our play but it is not easy.
"We are getting the best out of what we have and they have been as good as gold. I can't fault the effort they are putting in."