Pyromaniac given green light to run in Galway Hurdle
Published 25/07/2016 | 18:51
Pyromaniac is free to take his chance in the Guinness Galway Hurdle on Thursday following a High Court ruling, said trainer Tony Martin.
The Martin-trained six-year-old was banned from running for 42 days after finishing sixth in the McSweeney Arms Hotel (QR) Race at Killarney on July 12.
The Summerhill handler appealed the punishment and was partially successful, with his 2,000 euro fine for using the racecourse as a schooling ground quashed.
However, during Martin's evidence to the appeal board it was found the horse had a problem with his teeth which, it was ruled, would have harmed his chances of winning.
Martin was fined 1,000 euro and Pyromaniac's 42-day ban stood.
That lengthy suspension was set to keep him out of the Galway Hurdle, but Martin applied for a judicial review, which was granted by the High Court in Dublin on Monday morning.
There will be a stay on the imposition of the ban until a date for the review has been set, which means Pyromaniac can now take his place in the line-up at Galway.
Martin said: "We've got a judicial review and at the moment he is free to run (at Galway).
"If he's well and we're happy with him that's the plan."
Pyromaniac is one of three possible runners for Martin in the 300,000 euro feature, with last year's respective first and third, Quick Jack and Ted Veale, still in contention.