Friday 30 September 2016

Video: Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen escape unscathed after horror crash

Motorsport

Daniel Johnson

Published 22/06/2015 | 02:30

The cars of Fernando Alonso of Spain and McLaren Honda and Kimi Raikkonen of Finland and Ferrari wait to be returned to the garages after crashing during the Formula One Grand Prix of Austria at Red Bull Ring last night (Dan Istitene/Getty Images)
The cars of Fernando Alonso of Spain and McLaren Honda and Kimi Raikkonen of Finland and Ferrari wait to be returned to the garages after crashing during the Formula One Grand Prix of Austria at Red Bull Ring last night (Dan Istitene/Getty Images)
Marshalls retrieve the car of Kimi Raikkonen after he crashed during the Formula One Grand Prix of Austria

Formula One breathed an enormous sigh of relief last night after Kimi Raikkonen and Fernando Alonso emerged unscathed from a horrific accident in the Austrian Grand Prix.

  • Go To

The pair collided on the first lap at around 130mph before Alonso's car became wedged on top of Raikkonen's Ferrari, perilously close to the Finn's head.

The McLaren and the Ferrari then slid along the barrier before both drivers miraculously left their cars unhurt.

The stewards investigated the nasty crash and found neither driver to be at fault.

Alonso, a two-time champion, said: "It was obviously quite scary. The start was very good. Kimi had a lot of wheel spin out of turn two. We were overtaking him and he lost the car on the left. I was on the left. I could not see anything. I looked in the mirror and saw a car under my car. I jumped quickly to see he was OK. I saw he was, so I was happy."

While video footage was inconclusive, it appeared that Raikkonen lost control coming out of turn two, sliding to the left and collecting Alonso in the process.

Raikkonen, who as recently as last week called for F1 to be "a little more dangerous", said: "I got some wheel spin and then went left, which was unusual, so it's hard to say (what happened)."

Watch the incident below:

After the dreadful accident last year at the Japanese Grand Prix, which has left Jules Bianchi desperately ill - the Frenchman collided with a recovery tractor in wet conditions - everyone was grateful to see Alonso and Raikkonen walk away.

The collision was a stark reminder of the dangers of open-cockpit racing.

Three years ago Alonso narrowly avoided injury when Romain Grosjean's Lotus flew over his head at the start of the Belgian Grand Prix.

There was also Maria de Villota's testing accident at Duxford Airfield, Cambridgeshire, in 2012, which led to her death a year later.

Henry Surtees, the son of 1964 world champion John, was killed at a Formula Two race in 2009 when a tyre from the car of Jack Clarke struck him on the head. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Telegraph.co.uk

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport