Monday 26 September 2016

USADA confirmed Conor McGregor tested clean after Nate Diaz's coach made doping accusation

Tom Rooney

Published 29/03/2016 | 16:16

Conor McGregor suffered his first defeat in the UFC after being choked out by Nate Diaz
Conor McGregor suffered his first defeat in the UFC after being choked out by Nate Diaz
LAS VEGAS, NV - MARCH 5: (R-L) Nate Diaz punches Conor McGregor in their welterweight bout during the UFC 196 in the MGM Grand Garden Arena on March 5, 2016 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Brandon Magnus/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images)

Just 24 hours prior to the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) confirming that Conor McGregor tested clean for any banned substances before, during and after UFC 196, Nate Diaz’s coach accused the Dubliner of using performance enhancing drugs.

  • Go To

Last night US website MMAjunkie.com published the findings of the Nevada State Athletic (NSAC) Commission and USADA from their drug testing of all 24 fighters who competed at UFC 196 on March 5.

While the NSAC tested 18 fighters on the card, USADA, a third party agency partnered with UFC, tested six, four of who comprised the co-main and main events.

Those four are Miesha Tate, Holly Holm, Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor. MMAjunkie.com received confirmation from both bodies that all of the subjects tested negative for any banned or adverse substances.

However, on Sunday, and not for the first time, Richie Perez, Nate Diaz’s boxing coach, maintained that Conor McGregor must be using performance enhancing drugs.

In the lead up to the pair’s first fight, which Diaz won via second round submission, Perez claimed on the Submission Radio podcast that the Crumlin native’s suggestion that they meet at welterweight was an indication that something nefarious was afoot.

This came days after Diaz accused an enraged McGregor of steroid use at a pre-fight press conference. McGregor vehemently denied this then and directly after to ESPN.com. His  coach, John Kavanagh, also responded to Perez's claims via social media.

According to the SBG man and UFC, with Diaz having only 11 days’ notice as a replacement for the injured lightweight champion Rafael Dos Anjos, McGregor offered him the fight at 170 lbs. so as to ensure his participation. .

Speaking again on Submission Radio, Perez said that there had been an abnormal amount of the mass on McGregor’s frame when facing Diaz, especially if considering he had prepared predominantly for a lightweight fight (155lbs.).

"Like I told you at the beginning, I said I’m not the one that really knows, but just by watching a guy to come up from 145lbs (featherweight). to 170lbs., you’re gonna have some fat on you.

 “Believe me, you’re going to have to have some fat somewhere. Around your waist, some where. He didn’t have any fat at all. He was solid muscle. So how are you going to build that much in two weeks and be solid muscle?"

"He was supposed to fight at 155 lbs, but he was already overweight. I know he was. When he found out that - Rafael Dos Anjos- hurt his ankle, he called Nathan out at 170 lbs. So that tells me right there that he couldn’t get down to weight because something’s making him build up."

"Like I said, I’m not the one who really knows about him, but to me, I feel like he’s gotta be on some kind of substance, you know, to get built up. Cause he’s a little guy, and a little guy can’t get real bulky that quick."

McGregor, the featherweight champion, has fought the majority of his career in that bracket and consistently found the process of  making the weight an onerous one. In truth, the 27-year-old is a natural lightweight and it may have been jarring for some to see him compete without shedding any bulk.

Confirmation of a rematch between McGregor and Diaz at UFC 200 on July 9 is expected in the coming days so, in reality, this latest jibe could be nothing more than the latter’s camp getting ahead of the game in the psychological warfare stakes.

Reportedly at McGregor’s request, the fight will again be contested at 170lbs. Of course, injury notwithstanding, Diaz will have the benefit of a full training camp to prepare for a bout that should be at lightweight.

Perez said his charge will return full time to the gym imminently and expects him to dispatch of McGregor even more decisively than before.

"When he’s in good shape and he has no injury, he dominates. He dominates easy. He stops people or he beats them. You know, they don’t have a chance.

“And McGregor had a full camp training, and he even moved up weight to get stronger. Nathan was out, enjoying himself, going to Cabo. You know, he’s eating and drinking and having fun, and they call him."

"So if it took him two weeks to dominate a guy that’s undefeated, that’s the golden boy, what do you think is going to happen in three months training?" he said. "McGregor’s never seen Nathan in really good shape, he’s seen him only half-ass. This is nothing. He wasn’t really in tip-top shape at all," he said.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport