independent

Thursday 17 April 2014

Tennis: Rafa Nadal admits injury likely to keep him out until next year

RAFAEL Nadal concedes it is unlikely he will play tennis again in 2012.

Nadal has not picked up a racket since suffering a surprise second-round exit to Czech Lukas Rosol at Wimbledon in June.



Since then, the 26-year-old has missed the Olympic Games and US Open as he battles ongoing knee soreness.



"Impossible, no. But difficult, yes," Nadal said when asked whether he would make a comeback before the end of the season.



"I want to go day-by-day, I go every day to the gym, the swimming pool to continue with my recovery. I am trying not to think that far.



"It has been very, very tough for me because I feel that my knee didn't improve in the right way ... but the last couple of weeks the improvement in my knee is something that I can really feel.



"That helps me to keep working hard doing every day what I have do.



"I am working to try to come back to practice on the tennis court in a not very long period of time."



Nadal, an 11-time grand slam winner, has suffered his fair share of niggles over his career but very few long-term injuries and admitted he was unsure of how long this setback may persist.



"That is something I will know when my I feel my knee completely without pain when I start to practice," he said.



"I didn't have in the past this long period of time outside of the tennis court, outside of the competition.



"I can imagine when I come back I will need time to practice and practice more and more every day, maybe that will take one month and a half.



"The most important thing is to continue with the treatment ... when I don't feel nothing, hopefully that will happen soon, I will come back on the tennis court."



Also in this Section

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Don't Miss

Top Stories

Celebrity News