Sport Other News

Thursday 2 October 2014

Video: Slumdog director Danny Boyle gets extra security after Olympics row

Published 19/07/2012 | 11:44

  • Share
Danny Boyle, centre

OLYMPICS opening ceremony director Danny Boyle now has been given extra security because of fear for his safety, according to reports.

  • Share
  • Go To

Tensions are running high following reported clashes between opening ceremony director Danny Boyle - who directed the films Trainspotting and Slumdog Millionaire - and Olympic Broadcasting Services, the company responsible for broadcasting the Games.



Boyle, is in charge of the £27million ceremony that is due to open London 2012 on July 27.



However, friction has arisen between Boyle’s team and OBS and, according to a report in UK newspaper The Guardian, an extra ring of security has been put around Boyle’s trailer.



According to their source, "Danny cannot get the cameras in the positions he wants. There has been no co-operation at all. You cannot describe the atmosphere. It is miserable. It has reduced rehearsal time over the past two or three weeks. The rehearsals are behind.



"Danny wanted to bring in an English crew because he didn't want a sports crew filming the opening ceremony," the source added. "He wanted to give it a 'light entertainment' feel, not a sports feel.



‘’At the moment he can't get the shots he wants. It is stopping him from doing the great show he thinks he can do. He is not filming a sporting event. He is a creative and he is trying to create something that is like a drama, which is why he brought in his own people."



Television production company Done and Dusted is set to film the creative elements of the show, while OBS will film the speeches the procession of the athletes’.



However, it seems that Boyle is struggling to get the cameras in all the places he wants.



Last month the director said: "We're trying to make you feel like you're watching a live film being made. It feels like when you're planning a big sequence in a film. We're trying to make it feel like a live recording of a film that all happens on one evening. We're trying to shoot it in a very visceral way.”



However, Olympic organisers Locog denied these reports, stating that: "OBS and Danny Boyle and his team have a good partnership, and both teams are working very well together. There are no tensions – everyone involved has lots of experience, and they are working together to deliver and broadcast a great ceremony."



The three-hour opening ceremony, titled “Isles of Wonder” after Caliban’s speech in The Tempest, is intended to be a celebration of Britain.



Of his creation Boyle said, “Our Isles of Wonder salutes and celebrates the exuberant creativity of the British genius in an Opening Ceremony that we hope will be as unpredictable and inventive as the British people.”



It will feature the largest harmonically tuned bell in Europe, a recreation of the British countryside using real farmyard animals, the athletes’ procession, performance sequences featuring 15,000 volunteers and a set by Paul McCartney.



However, on Wednesday it was revealed that the organisers have been forced to cut 30-minutes from the show due to ensure that it will finish in time to allow spectators to get home.



Locog's director of communications, Jackie Brock-Doyle, said: "[The Opening Ceremony] is not actually being cut. It starts at nine o'clock, it is going to finish between 12 and 12:30am, as we have said all along.



"Currently it is running slightly over that, so we need to make sure it fits within the slot we always said it was going to fit into. So, what's actually happening is, it's tightening up.



"The transport's been great because Transport for London have extended [the last train] to 2.30am."

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport