Saturday 1 October 2016

NFL uphold Brady's four-game 'Deflategate' ban

Published 29/07/2015 | 02:30

According to the statement, new information which came to light during the appeal process showed that Brady had ordered the destruction of his cell phone immediately prior to his meeting with Wells on March 6
According to the statement, new information which came to light during the appeal process showed that Brady had ordered the destruction of his cell phone immediately prior to his meeting with Wells on March 6

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has upheld Tom Brady's four-game suspension for the New England Patriots quarterback's role in the 'deflategate' scandal.

  • Go To

The four-time Super Bowl winner was handed the ban in May after independent investigator Ted Wells' report concluded he was "at least generally aware of the inappropriate activities" regarding his team's use of deflated game balls in last season's AFC Championship game against the Indianapolis Colts.

Brady appealed but Goodell yesterday announced that Brady's ban had been upheld after further information which came to light during the appeal process had counted against the 37-year-old.

According to the statement, new information which came to light during the appeal process showed that Brady (right) had ordered the destruction of his cell phone immediately prior to his meeting with Wells on March 6.

"He did so even though he was aware that the investigators had requested access to text messages and other electronic information that had been stored on that phone," the statement said. "During the four months that the cell phone was in use, Brady had exchanged nearly 10,000 text messages, none of which can now be retrieved from that device."

The quarterback, regarded by many to be the greatest to have ever played the game, is said to be considering taking the case to court as he believes his legacy is on the line.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport