Friday 9 December 2016

New boy Sorensen targets World T20

Published 22/09/2011 | 05:00

MAX SORENSEN has been earmarked as the man to answer Ireland's fast- bowling shortage, having been called up yesterday for next month's Hong Kong Sixes tournament.

• Go To

South African-born Sorensen (25) has played for The Hills since 2007 and is probably the quickest bowler in Leinster cricket.

He has completed his four-year residential qualification to play for Ireland and could be drafted into the squad for the 2012 World Twenty20 qualifiers in March.

Sorensen said: "I was a little astounded to be given the call, but I'm determined to give it my best shot.

"I feel my brand of cricket is suited to this type of fast action, and with the T20 qualifiers coming up there are some serious opportunities ahead.

"My motto is 'go big or go home' and I've no intention of going home."

There are few surprises in the rest of Phil Simmons' squad, which is captained by Kevin O'Brien.

Ireland, playing in the annual six-a-side knockabout for the first time, have been drawn in Pool B along with Australia, Bangladesh and England.

Meanwhile, Ireland will face either England or Australia in their opening match of next September's World T20 in Sri Lanka, should they qualify.

Yesterday's draw put Qualifier 1 in a group with Australia and West Indies, while Qualifier 2 will play England and India.

Ireland (squad for Hong Kong Sixes; October 28-30) -- Kevin O'Brien (capt) (Railway Union), Alex Cusack (Clontarf), George Dockrell (Somerset), John Mooney (North County), Niall O'Brien (wkt) (Northants), Max Sorensen (The Hills), Paul Stirling (Middlesex).

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport