Thursday 19 October 2017

Nadal ruled out of Wimbledon

Rafael Nadal is still hoping that rest and rehabilitation will cure his wrist injury without the need for surgery. Picture Credit: Adam Davy/PA Wire.
Rafael Nadal is still hoping that rest and rehabilitation will cure his wrist injury without the need for surgery. Picture Credit: Adam Davy/PA Wire.
Independent.ie Newsdesk

Independent.ie Newsdesk

Rafael Nadal will miss Wimbledon because of the wrist injury that forced him to pull out midway through the French Open last month.

It is a further setback for the 30-year-old Spaniard, who had appeared to be recapturing some of his best form until the latest in a long line of injuries that have interrupted his career.

Nadal's appearance at Wimbledon, which starts a fortnight on Monday, had looked unlikely from the moment he pulled out of the French Open after his second-round match.

The former World No 1 first felt the injury at last month's Madrid Masters and, after suffering increased pain at Roland Garros, he was told that he could cause serious damage to the wrist if he continued playing.

A statement issued on Nadal's behalf said that he would have to keep his left wrist in a cast for up to two more weeks, after which he would begin "anti-inflammatory rehabilitation and physiotherapy-based treatment".

Nadal is still hoping that rest and rehabilitation will cure the problem - inflammation of a tendon sheath in the wrist - without the need for surgery.

This will be only the second time since 2004 that Nadal has missed Wimbledon. He was also forced to skip the 2009 tournament because of problems with his knees. Between 2006-11 he won there twice and was runner-up three times.

He failed to go beyond the fourth round in his last four appearances at the All England Club, but he had shown a significant return to form this year until he was struck down by his latest injury.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport