Friday 21 October 2016

Ecclestone denies F1 sale claims sportsdesk

Published 05/09/2016 | 02:30

F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone Photo: Lars Baron/Getty Images
F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone Photo: Lars Baron/Getty Images

The future of Bernie Ecclestone and Formula One's ownership were the subject of frenzied speculation last night after a day of claim and counter-claim in Monza.

  • Go To

First it seemed a deal worth $8.5bn to sell the sport had been agreed and was due to be announced this week, only for that suggestion to be rebuffed by F1's current owner, CVC Capital Partners.

Then pundit and former team owner Eddie Jordan, a close ally of Ecclestone, said yesterday's Italian Grand Prix would be the 85-year-old's last as chief executive. However this extraordinary claim, made live on Channel 4, was immediately scotched both by Ecclestone and Donald Mackenzie, the chairman of CVC.

"I would be very surprised if there was any announcement this week," Mackenzie said. "As far as I am aware, Bernie is going nowhere. Nothing has changed."

Ecclestone described reports of a deal as "bull***t".

On a confusing day even in the chaotic world of F1 politics, what is clear is that Liberty Media is in the running to complete a deal to buy the sport, which would be the first change of ownership in more than a decade. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport