Michael Schumacher 'moved to rehab ward'
Michael Schumacher reportedly 'out of danger' and moved from intensive care to rehabilitation ward – but no official update on Formula One legend's condition
Published 13/06/2014 | 15:11
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER reportedly been moved from intensive care to a rehabilitation ward.
The 45-year-old former Formula One star sustained a head injury after he was in a skiing accident at the French resort of Méribel on December 29 2013. He was put in a medically-induced coma and has been in hospital ever since.
German magazine Bunte reports he is now being transferred, which could mean that he is now out of danger of dying from his injuries. However, it remains unknown whether he will make a recovery either.
"Schumacher's transfer to a special rehabilitation clinic is being prepared and the chances of full recovery have dropped," the publication claims.
It has previously been reported that at some point there could come a time when doctors inform the star's family that they have done all they can for him. Moving to a rehabilitation ward will mean Michael will still get therapies to help him, but is unlikely to make any significant improvements.
Munich newspaper Abendzeitung also has sources claiming the sportsman has been moved.
His manager Sabine Kehm hasn't issued a statement on the reports. She last spoke out about Michael's condition in April, when she said he seemed to be making small improvements.
"There are short moments of consciousness and he is showing small signs of progress," Sabine told Germany's ARD.
"There are moments when he is awake and moments when he is conscious.
"Of course I am not a doctor, but medically, there is a distinction between being awake and being conscious, the latter meaning there is an ability to interact with his surroundings.
"I don't want to disclose details out of respect for the family, but we have no doubt at all in the abilities of the doctors treating Michael, they are experts in their field."