Sport Other Sports

Friday 1 July 2016

EURO 2016 LATEST Visit Euro 2016 Hub

Fri 10th June

Sat 11th June

Sun 12th June

Mon 13th June

Tue 14th June

Wed 15th June

Thu 16th June

Fri 17th June

Sat 18th June

Sun 19th June

Mon 20th June

Sat 25th June

Sun 26th June

Mon 27th June

Thu 30th June

Poland POL 1 (3)

Portugal POR 1 (5)

AET

Today's Fixtures

Wales WAL

Belgium BEL

20:00

Sat 02nd July

Germany GER

Italy ITA

20:00

Sun 03rd July

France FRA

Iceland ISL

20:00


Lennox Lewis scotches rumours he’s lined up for $100m comeback

Published 10/10/2013 | 22:47

Flashback: Lennox Lewis (right) with Ukrainian challenger Vitali Klitschko before their bout in 2003
Flashback: Lennox Lewis (right) with Ukrainian challenger Vitali Klitschko before their bout in 2003
World heavyweight champion Vladimir Klitschko with his brother Vitali standing behind him celebrates after beating Alexander Povetkin in Moscow last week

LENNOX Lewis has dismissed reports that he is preparing to make a comeback to fight one of the Klitschko brothers.

  • Go To

Lewis took to Twitter to insist he has no intention of stepping back in the ring at the age of 48.

Lewis tweeted: "A hypothetical answer to a hypothetical question does NOT equal reality #NoComeback", before adding: "I'm not stepping back in the ring but I AM looking for the next crop of new talent!"

Lewis' response will kill off rumours he was preparing to accept a world record purse in excess of $100m to provide the Klitschkos with some much-needed competition.

Wladimir Klitschko successfully defended his world title in Moscow last Saturday night with a routine victory over the widely regarded best available challenger, Alexander Povetkin.

Lewis last fought when he beat Vitali Klitschko in June 2003, and despite sporadic reports to the contrary, he has resisted the temptation to make a comeback.

Lewis shed further light on how the reports of a comeback came to light.

He told BT Sport: "The question was asked of me: 'did anyone ever offer you any money to come back?' And I said 'yeah'. And they said 'how much?' I said '50' [million dollars].

"They said 'wow, that's a lot of money. You're not going to take it?' I said 'no - something like that would cost at least 100' [million US dollars].

"So they said 'yeah? how long would it take for you to train?' And I said 'six months, a year if I was serious'. And then the story just went.

"The question was asked of me. A bunch of reporters were asking me questions around the table and obviously it got misconstrued. But there's no money on the table."

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport