Saturday 27 May 2017

ICC gives Joyce green light

The International Cricket Council today confirmed that Ed Joyce has been granted special dispensation to participate in the 2011 World Cup next February.

However, the ICC have declined the request from Cricket Ireland to have Irish passport holder Hamish Marshall cleared to take part, meaning he will not be eligible to play for his adopted country until the start of next April.



Joyce said: "It's obviously tremendous news. Playing for Ireland again is something I've given a lot of thought to over the last few years and to be given the opportunity to do so, a little earlier than expected and on the biggest stage, is absolutely fantastic.



"Having seen the talent and work ethic of the squad over the last week or so in India, I feel Ireland will, once again, make a huge impact at the World Cup and I look forward to hopefully offering a lot to the team in the tournament and the whole of 2011."



Ireland coach Phil Simmons added: "It's a huge boost to have Ed available for the World Cup, adding to the selectors' headaches in an already strong squad, but that's a nice problem to have.



"Of course, it would have been fantastic to have both Ed and Hamish available, but it's not to be. I feel very sorry for Hamish, but this squad will be at other big tournaments, of that I'm certain."



An ICC spokesperson said: "Ed was granted permission for his four-year standout period to be slightly reduced so that he could compete in the CWC 2011.



"This was done on the basis of exceptional circumstances and the unique facts of his specific case, which included his Irish background and his very strong ties to Irish cricket from childhood up to senior national representation.



"We would like to wish Ed all the best as he resumes his Ireland career."



Press Association

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport