Equestrian: Corrigan insists SJI have not backed down on millstreet
Letters advising riders and officials about sanctions following their participation in the Millstreet Horse Show last month have still not been circulated by Show Jumping Ireland (SJI), writes LOUISE PARKES.
SJI chairman Ronan Corrigan told the Irish Independent two weeks ago that the letters would be posted on August 18, but he confirmed last Monday that they were subsequently delayed.
Corrigan insists, however, that there has been no back-down by the national governing body and that the notifications will go out next week. "We decided to take legal advice and to collate further information before sending them out," he said. "They will definitely be posted next Wednesday, which is the day after our next executive committee meeting.
"We also decided to get recommendations from our two standing committees -- judges and course designers. The judges committee has already met and are adamant that sanctions should be placed on all those concerned. The course designers will be meeting this week."
Millstreet Horse Show has not been affiliated to the SJI since 2008 because of a long-running dispute between the SJI and the Millstreet proprietors, the Duggan family, who have been staging shows at the Green Glens Arena for 38 years. The Duggans insist the disagreement revolves around the inadequacy of the SJI's insurance policy, while the SJI says the main issue is the non-payment of levies.
Riders and officials were warned if they took part in this summer's Millstreet show, which clashed with the SJI's National Championships in Kildare, they would be liable to fines and suspensions but some still chose to do so, and now the SJI is obliged to enforce the rules which it has put in place. The suspensions are expected to affect some riders due to compete at the annual Young Horse Championships in Belgium at the end of the month.