Saturday 25 February 2017

Cycling: 'Day of justice' for Contador as one-year ban is lifted

Lawrence Tobin

Contador: back in the saddle today. Photo: Reuters
Contador: back in the saddle today. Photo: Reuters

Alberto Contador yesterday expressed relief upon being cleared by the Royal Spanish Cycling Federation (RFEC) after testing positive for a banned substance after winning last year's Tour de France.

The 28-year-old Spaniard reported an adverse finding for clenbuterol in July last year, attributing the result on the second rest day to contaminated meat and maintaining his innocence throughout.

The RFEC's disciplinary committee last month proposed a one-year ban, but yesterday Contador's spokesman confirmed the three-time Tour champion is free to begin the Tour of the Algarve today -- where Nicolas Roche is also competing.

Contador said: "First of all, I'm relieved and obviously happy about this ruling. It has been some very stressful months for me, but throughout the case I have been totally available for all inquiries in relation to my case, and all the way through I have spoken in accordance with the truth."

Justice

Andy Ramos, Contador's lawyer, said: "We have received confirmation that the investigation has been shelved and Alberto can race again. Justice has been done. The UCI (cycling's world governing body) will study the decision and for our part, there is nothing to appeal. We hope the UCI don't appeal." He added that Contador was "very well, very pleased".

The case now moves back into the hands of the UCI and the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA). They have one month to decide whether to appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in Switzerland.

The adverse finding for anabolic agent clenbuterol, reportedly 40 times smaller than Wada are required to detect, was revealed last September and Contador was provisionally suspended. Clenbuterol can be used to reduce body fat and improve aerobic capacity.

The Spaniard shared his happiness on Twitter: "Today is a day of justice, with mixed feelings between joy and sadness for all the damage in recent months. Leaves a mark!"

The UCI said they will take time to consider the verdict of the RFEC before deciding on a course of action. (© Independent News Service)

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport