Friday 21 October 2016

CONFIRMED: Conor McGregor v Jose Aldo fight set for December date in Las Vegas

Published 11/08/2015 | 08:53

Jose Aldo faces off against Conor McGregor back in March
Jose Aldo faces off against Conor McGregor back in March

Dana White confirmed last night that eagerly the anticipated UFC featherweight championship title unification bout between Conor McGregor and Jose Aldo has a date.

  • Go To

The pair were due to fight on July 11 at UFC 189 in Las Vegas, in what was being heralded as the biggest fight in featherweight history, before Aldo pulled out due to a rib injury on just 12 days’ notice.

Now the UFC boss has confirmed that the unification bout will be the headline event on December 12 at the MGM in Las Vegas during UFC 194, adding that MGM Resorts officials "moved Heaven and Earth" to allow the company to host the fight.

Read more:

One of the venues that had been rumoured was Cowboys Stadium in Dallas, which can hold over 100,000, but White admitted in his interview to Yahoo Sports that Vegas was a "a better option" for the event.

White said that the women's bantamweight title bout between Ronda Rousey and Miesha Tate has not been scheduled and will not be on the Aldo-McGregor card. It is believed that fight will not take place until 2016 at the earliest.

Read more: EXCLUSIVE: Conor McGregor criticism is good for business, says coach John Kavanagh

McGregor stole the show last time out with a thrilling second round stoppage against Chad Mendes after he stepped in to replace the injured Aldo.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport