Saturday 22 November 2014

Chisora pulls out of Fury bout after hand fracture

Published 22/07/2014 | 09:00

Dereck Chisora has been forced to pull out of the upcoming fight between Dereck Chisora and Tyson Fury because of a fractured hand injury picked up in a sparring session
Dereck Chisora has been forced to pull out of the upcoming fight between Dereck Chisora and Tyson Fury because of a fractured hand injury picked up in a sparring session

Dereck Chisora has been forced to withdraw from his European heavyweight title showdown with Tyson Fury in Manchester after fracturing his hand during a sparring session.

The Londoner was set to meet Fury to contest the European belt and the vacant British title on Saturday night but, following the setback, the fight will be rescheduled with a new date to be announced shortly.

In a statement from promoters, Chisora said: "I can't tell you how disappointed I am to have to pull out of the fight against Fury, but it is on the advice of my specialist that I have to do this.

"I'm sorry for the fans who will get to miss this great fight between me and Tyson this Saturday, but once my hand is healed and I'm given the all-clear to train and punch again, I'll be working on the new date for the fight."

The show at Manchester's Phones 4U Arena will still go ahead with Billy Joe Saunders now in the main event as he challenges Emanuele Blandamura for the vacant European middleweight title.

Chisora, who was keen to avenge his defeat to Fury on a unanimous points decision three years ago, added: "I was in fantastic shape and had a great training camp, probably the best so far in my career, and was looking forward to getting revenge on Fury, but that will have wait.

"I'm sorry to have to pull out on Fury, as I know that he had been training hard and it was going to be a great fight between two top athletes and I hope we can get it on again soon."

Promoter Frank Warren said: "Everybody involved in the fight worked hard to get it on and for this to happen on the final week is a big disappointment to everyone.

"There's no way that Dereck could fight with his hand fractured and there's no way I would let him get into the ring and fight with an injury like that.

"Obviously you've got to feel for Tyson who, through no fault of his own, has been hit hard by this postponement after all the training he has put in.

"It's a big heavyweight fight with a lot at stake for both fighters and we're working hard to get a new date confirmed."

Fury, meanwhile, insists he is "not interested" in the misconduct charge he is facing from the British Boxing Board of Control and he does not regret the behaviour that prompted it.

The 25-year-old has been summoned to appear before the BBBofC on August 13 as a result of his antics a week ago at a press conference to promote the now-cancelled rematch against Chisora.

Fury launched a string of expletives at both his opponent and one of the journalists in attendance at the media event in London.

On Thursday the BBBofC released a statement saying that after considering what happened, it had decided to call the Manchester-born fighter to a meeting "under Regulation 25 (misconduct)", adding that "failure to attend this hearing will result in Mr. Fury's boxer's licence being suspended."

And asked about that on Monday, Fury told Press Association Sport: "I'm not interested.

"They can charge me with whatever they want, it doesn't mean anything to me.

"What do we suppose they are going to be doing - fining me or suspending me? I'm not interested.

"I pay the board their wages. Keep being mean to me, and I will look elsewhere to pay someone else some wages."

Prior to the BBBofC statement being issued, Fury had apologised for the way he had acted, posting a message on Twitter last Wednesday which said: "I apologise for my ungodly actions @ the press Recently with @dellboychisora there was no bad feelings or Intentions. Just a show,#forgiveme.

"Boxing has been good to me it has brought me Security,Health,&kept me out of trouble, I thank every1 who has been Involved in my career. Xxx"

Fury was in less of a repentant mood on Monday, saying: "I don't regret it - I mean everything I say."

The undefeated fighter, who has Irish roots, also declared he has no intention of attending his BBBofC hearing and that he will turn to the Boxing Union of Ireland if his licence is suspended.

Fury said: "I won't change my ways.

"If they want to ban me and keep being fools, I will just go and get a BUI licence and box out of Ireland.

"I am sick of them picking on me all the time. It's crazy."

He added: "I am on holiday on the date of the meeting so I won't be attending and, even if I were in the country, I would not be attending because I am not interested."

Along with 30-year-old Chisora's European belt and the British crown being up for grabs, Saturday's contest was also set to be a final eliminator for the WBO world title, which is currently held by Wladimir Klitschko.

Chisora's withdrawal means further frustration for Fury, who saw David Haye twice pull out of a fight with him last year.

Fury wrote on Twitter on Monday night: "Told you all what would happen find me a real man to fight the furious1. P***** p***** p*****.

"If any1 feels like a fight I'm in Bolton town centre& I feel like a rumble. See what the BBOC make of this."

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport