Tuesday 6 December 2016

Boxing: Pacquiao to pick from trio if Mayweather clash collapses

Published 04/12/2010 | 05:00

Should a highly anticipated clash with Floyd Mayweather Jnr fail to materialise, Manny Pacquiao will pick from a shortlist of three opponents for an April 16 bout at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, the Filipino's promoter Bob Arum has said.

  • Go To

Arum has said that the shortlist consisted of former light-middleweight champion Shane Mosley, undefeated WBC welterweight champion Andre Berto and Mexico's WBA and WBO lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez.

Arum said he would talk to Pacquiao about who he would prefer to fight when he arrives in Manila for the fighter's 32nd birthday on December 17.

"In the end, it's going to be Manny's decision," Arum said. "We are going to discuss the economics but he will make the call. He's the one fighting."

Pacquiao (52-3-2), also a congressman in his homeland, is coming off an easy points victory over Antonio Margarito in Texas last month.

Pacquiao has twice fought Marquez, with their first bout at featherweight in 2004 scored a draw before the Filipino won the second via split decision at super-featherweight in 2008 in Las Vegas.

However, the fight the world wants to see is against undefeated American Mayweather, which many predict could prove to be the richest fight in boxing and one that Arum has long campaigned for.

Mayweather (41-0, 25 KOs) has not fought since out-pointing Mosley in May and was charged with four felonies, including domestic violence against his ex-girlfriend in September.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport