Boxing: Khan fight mystery man had ‘no business’ being ringside - report
THE International Boxing Federation have stated 'mystery man' Mustafa Ameen had no business being involved at ringside during Amir Khan's controversial defeat by Lamont Peterson last month.
Khan lost his IBF and WBA light-welterweight titles in a disputed split decision loss against local man Peterson in Washington on December 10.
The Bolton fighter has since called into question various issues from the night, ranging from Joe Cooper's deduction of two points from him to the judging of the fight and inconsistencies with the scorecards.
Khan's latest complaint last week was the presence of the then-unidentified Ameen at ringside, where he is seen interacting with WBA supervisor Michael Welsh and allegedly handling scorecards. Ameen was then identified by Khan's promoter, Richard Schaefer, who also said Ameen was involved with the IBF.
The governing body have explained in a statement that Ameen is not an employee or official of theirs, though he does voluntary work with their programme for retired fighters and will attend their January 18 hearing.
A statement issued by the organisation's publicist Jeannette Salazar read: "Mr Mustafa Ameen does outreach work for the IBF's SARB/Education Fund.
"This fund was initially created to financially assist retired professional boxers experiencing monetary difficulties.
"Shortly over a year ago, IBF President Daryl Peoples and Mr Ameen agreed that he would network on behalf of the organization with the purpose of connecting with these fighters in order for the IBF to provide them with some financial assistance.
"Mr Ameen's role with the organization is limited to just this. He is not an employee or an official of the organization, nor does he receive any monetary compensation from the organization for his efforts.
"Previous to the Khan-Peterson bout, the IBF made a request for the Washington, D.C. Boxing and Wrestling Commission to extend Mr Ameen the courtesy of a credential to enter the arena.
"Mr Ameen was not assigned by the IBF to officiate this bout. Despite all that has transpired, at this point the IBF has not changed its stance and plans on moving forth with the hearing as scheduled on Wednesday, January 18, 2012.
"Mr Ameen will be present at the hearing to explain his actions and what transpired during the bout between him and Mr Welsh, the WBA supervisor."
Khan's trainer Freddie Roach revealed at the weekend he knew Ameen and insists he had no official role.
He told BBC Sport: "[Ameen] has no credentials; he's not a member of any boxing organisation.
"There's no reason for him to be at ringside. Why he was ringside and why he was in the ring afterwards celebrating and so forth I have no idea."
Earlier this week, Ameen told boxingscene.com: "Amir Khan and Golden Boy have requested a hearing to appeal the decision and I am going to participate in the hearing and I'm not going to take the path that others have taken and state my case on the internet and in the media.
"I've got nothing to hide. I'm not running or ducking or anything.
"Without talking about the merits of what happened, I will just say that there's a lot of misinformation. I've been called a lot of names over the past several days and that attacks my credibility, attacks my reputation that I worked very hard on in all my years in boxing."