Boxing fans file Pacquiao lawsuit for failing to disclose injury as Mayweather offers re-match
Two Las Vegas residents have filed a class action lawsuit against Manny Pacquiao after they claim they were defrauded by the boxer's alleged failure to disclose a pre-bout shoulder injury, while a second LA lawsuit is also being reported.
The Filipino boxer was sued in a U.S. court on Tuesday by two people who said they paid to watch him fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the "Fight of Century", where he lost on points to the undefeated American.
The lawsuit was filed by Stephane Vanel and Kami Rahbaran in federal court in Nevada. It seeks compensation under laws meant to protect consumers and asks for status as a class action on behalf of ticket buyers, pay-per-view television viewers and people who gambled on the fight.
According to TMZ, a second LA lawsuit is also being reported on the same grounds.
Top Rank Inc, a promotions company that represents Pacquiao and that was also named as a defendant in the lawsuit, did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Attorneys representing both Top Rank and Pacquiao did not return calls.
Pacquiao, a native of the Philippines, lost on a unanimous decision to Mayweather, an American, in a heavily hyped welterweight showdown in Las Vegas on Saturday that was expected to be the top grossing prize fight of all time.
Barely one hour after the contest ended, Pacquiao's promoter, Bob Arum, said the 36-year-old southpaw had been hampered by an 'old' injury to his right shoulder.
Neither Pacquiao nor his team appeared to have informed the Nevada Athletic Commission about the shoulder issue until a couple hours before the start of the fight when they asked for an anti-inflammatory injection.
"The allegations in this lawsuit are demonstrably false," attorney Daniel Petrocelli, who represents Top Rank, told ESPN. "There are documents that explicitly show the medications that Manny was using to treat his shoulder and it was fully disclosed with USADA, which we contracted for this fight."
"This is a frivolous lawsuit and we are confident it will be dismissed," he added.
When Pacquiao's team filled out its pre-fight medical questionnaire on Friday, a query about any shoulder injury was marked "No" before the form was then signed by Pacquiao and his adviser.
Mayweather has one fight remaining on his Showtime contract and has repeatedly said he intends to retire after a bout fight in September, although after Saturday's fight he told reporters that he is "human" and occasionally contradicts himself.
"I will fight him in a year after his surgery," Mayweather, who earned a unanimous decision over Pacquiao, told Smith in a text on Tuesday, according to ESPN.