Boxing: Dereck Chisora's promoter hits out at WBC statement
Dereck Chisora's promoter Frank Warren feels it is not the World Boxing Council's place to suggest his fighter needs anger management treatment.
Chisora has been handed an indefinite ban and heavy fine - yet to be finally determined - by the WBC following his behaviour before and after his heavyweight title bout with Vitali Klitschko in Munich earlier this month.
Chisora slapped his Ukrainian opponent at the weigh-in and spat water at Klitschko's brother Wladimir just prior to the contest, before being embroiled in a brawl with British rival David Haye at the post-fight press conference.
The WBC confirmed the ban yesterday in a statement, in which they said they were "demanding Chisora take anger management medical treatment after which his suspension will be reconsidered.''
Asked about that part of the statement, Warren told Press Association Sport: "Is (WBC president) Jose Sulaiman a qualified psychiatrist or does he have any medical qualifications?
"Until someone who does examines or talks about Chisora - if indeed that is what needs to be done - then I would say he is not qualified to say that.
"I find the find the whole thing bizarre, unbelievably strange."
Chisora, who was beaten on points by WBC champion Klitschko at the Olympiahalle, has issued an apology for his part in events surrounding the fight and faces a British Boxing Board of Control hearing on March 14.
The 28-year-old has been left "very disappointed" by yesterday's statement from the WBC, and Warren said of the organisation's decision: "Really, what is going on here is that this is a rushed judgement without any process.
"Considering the BBBofC have got the hearing on March 14, how on earth can anyone consider this to be fair?
"I spoke to Dereck and he is very disappointed.
"He has made an apology for his actions and I'm not saying that is the end of the matter because it is not - there should be a hearing, because there are a lot of issues, not just with Dereck Chisora, that need to be considered before decisions are made.
"What he is disappointed with, the same as me, is that those decisions should be made based upon evidence given by the parties concerned."
Warren added: "Out of everything that went on there, he is the only person who has co-operated with the police in Germany, who decided not to charge him.
"I feel it is gross hypocrisy on the part of the WBC and I am going to talk to the BBBofC to ask them what is going on.
"At the moment, it seems there are people making arbitrary judgements all over the place.
"He can't be tried three or four times for the same thing without even giving evidence - it is outrageous."
The incident with Haye started after Chisora confronted his fellow Londoner at the post-fight press conference and following the resulting brawl, Chisora shouted threats at his rival.
In his apology, Chisora admitted his actions had been "inexcusable" and the WBC have declared he had committed ``one of the worst behaviours ever by a professional boxer''.
Referring to that assertion, Warren said: "I feel that all that went on was unacceptable. But the worst behaviour?
"When Mike Tyson was rolling around the floor and biting Lennox Lewis on the leg - and Jose Sulaiman was involved himself in that fracas - nobody got barred.
"Is it worse behaviour than Muhammad Ali rolling around on the floor and punching and fighting Joe Frazier? Of course it's not.
"It is what it is, but before you make any judgement on that, you need to hear the evidence, you need the cases for and against and the decision should be made correctly."
While Chisora was arrested then released without charge following the brawl, Haye left Germany and is wanted for questioning.
The WBC statement made no mention of Haye, who is currently unlicensed, and asked about the prospect of the two fighters meeting in the ring, Warren said: "Certainly at the moment, it is not on the agenda."
Meanwhile, Wladimir Klitschko has claimed Chisora "damaged the legacy of boxing" with his actions and says he is unconvinced by the Briton's apology.
"I think the behaviour that Dereck Chisora showed at the weigh-in and before and after the fight has to be punished," Klitschko told Sky Sports News.
"Such behaviour should be stopped because otherwise we are going to set a bad example for the fans and the youth.
"I think it is really something that damaged the legacy of boxing.
"I heard about the apology he made and I don't believe in it or accept it.
"I think it is something his advisers told him to say because they thought it would help reduce his suspension. For now I am not taking any apologies, and my brother is not either."