Boxing: Booth rules out Haye - Chisora
DAVID Haye's trainer Adam Booth says the former world champion has no intention of meeting Dereck Chisora in the ring despite the pair's brawl in Munich.
Haye clashed violently with Chisora in the aftermath of the latter's defeat to Vitali Klitschko on Saturday night, punching his rival while holding a bottle and swinging a camera tripod at his trainer Don Charles.
Chisora was detained by German police the following day but released without charge, while Haye left the country before authorities were able to question him.
Both men broke their public silence yesterday, Chisora offering an unreserved apology for his part in the incident and Haye offering a lengthy explanation of his actions while stopping short of saying sorry.
It has been speculated that the brawl was partly about generating interest in a potential Haye versus Chisora bout but Booth, who was cut on the forehead in the melee in Munich, dismissed that idea.
He insists Haye, who is currently retired, is only interested in returning to the sport to face Vitali or Wladimir Klitschko, the latter having defeated Haye already last year.
The Klitschko camp have indicated that Haye is not of interest to them, leaving Booth to speculate that his retirement could be permanent.
"David is still retired, he has no plans to fight again," Booth told Radio Five Live.
"He's always said the only people he would come out (of retirement) to fight is one of the Klitschko brothers and what happened on Saturday night doesn't change that one bit."
Munich Police today reiterated their desire to speak to former WBA heavyweight champion Haye and said they are likely to enlist the help of Scotland Yard to track him down.
Press Association Sport understands Haye is somewhere in Britain having fled Munich hours after the brawl.
Zimbabwe-born Chisora said in a statement released to Press Association Sport: "I feel I must wholeheartedly apologise for my part in the regrettable scenes both before and after what was to be the biggest night of my career.
"Whilst my behaviour was inexcusable, there were many things that went on behind the scenes that ultimately caused my frustrations to boil over, however this is of course no excuse."
Haye says he will assist the boxing authorities in their enquiries.
He said: "I realise I am no angel - and don't mind a bit of professional trash-talk to help raise boxing's profile - but, during my 21 years in the sport, I have never been involved in, or even witnessed, such a serious fracas.
"If requested, I shall happily assist the boxing authorities with any investigation they wish to launch and, ultimately, hope that all lessons learned from this incident will be implemented."
Haye claims the fracas was instigated by Chisora and stopped short of apologising, but did say: "It goes without saying, I am bitterly disappointed to have been a part of what transpired on Saturday evening."
In a statement, British Boxing Board of Control secretary Robert Smith confirmed Chisora will appear before stewards on March 14 "with regard to his behaviour prior, during and after" his loss to Klitschko.
Haye is not currently answerable to the Board, having relinquished his licence in October when he officially retired. However, he would need to re-apply if he wanted to fight again.