Boxer Michael Conlan and Ireland’s Italia 90 squad among those honoured at Excellence in Sport Awards
Outstanding contributors to Irish sport in 2015 were honoured at the 27th Excellence in Sports Awards, while the Irish World Cup squad of 1990 were honoured for their achievements.
Hosted by three time Major Champion Padraig Harrington, the event is held each year to raise much needed funds for the Irish Youth Foundation (IYF).
All proceeds from the evening go towards the charity's important support of vulnerable children and young people living in disadvantaged circumstances around the country. To date the event has raised €3m for the charity.
Ten awards were presented on the evening, with an Outstanding Achievement Award going to Shane Lowry who won the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational by two strokes over Bubba Watson last August and went on to accept his PGA Tour membership for the 2015/16 season.
Boxer Michael Conlan also received an Outstanding Achievement Award for his World Championship Gold medal win in October and is the first-ever Irishman to claim a World Championship gold medal in the 41-year history of the tournament after claiming a 3-0 unanimous decision win over Murodjon Akhmadaliev (Uzbekistan) in their 56kg bantamweight final.
The Outstanding Team Achievement was awarded to three very special teams on the night – Ireland’s Special Olympics Team Ireland for their amazing successes in 2015, the Irish Showjumping Team for their Aga Khan win in August and the Irish Men’s Rugby Team for their Six Nations Win.
On the 25th anniversary of Italia’90 the Reeling back the Years Award went to the 1990 Irish Soccer team represented by David O’Leary.
Recently retired jockey AP McCoy won the Outstanding Lifetime Achievement Award and the Golf Digest Lifetime Achievement Award went to Christy O’Connor Jnr.
Host Padraig Harrington received a surprise award on the evening for his dramatic victory at the Honda Classic in March after a tense play-off with American rookie Daniel Berger.
Full List of Award Winners:
1. Outstanding Achievement – Michael Conlan
2. Outstanding Team Achievement - Irish Show Jumping Team
3. Golf Digest (logo) - Lifetime Achievement Award - Christy O’Connor Jnr
4. Outstanding Team Achievement - Special Olympics Team Ireland
5. Alternative Sport – Greg Callaghan
6. Reeling Back the Years Award - Irish Soccer Team Italia ’90
7. Outstanding Team Achievement - Irish Rugby Team
8. Outstanding Lifetime Achievement Award - AP McCoy
9. Outstanding Achievement - Shane Lowry
10. Padraig Harrington – Outstanding Achievement for his win at the Honda Classic