Wednesday 26 November 2014

Norwich City reject transfer request from Wes Hoolahan

Published 21/01/2014 | 21:10

Wes Hoolahan, right, has been told he will not be leaving Norwich this month
Wes Hoolahan, right, has had his transfer request turned down

Norwich have turned down a transfer request from midfielder Wes Hoolahan.

The 31-year-old Republic of Ireland international - who had been the subject of a bid from Aston Villa, driven by former Canaries boss Paul Lambert - submitted a transfer request on Tuesday, but that was swiftly refused.

A statement on club website canaries.co.uk on Tuesday evening read: "City can confirm Irish international midfielder Wes Hoolahan has today submitted a transfer request which has been rejected.

"The board of Norwich City has stated clearly no senior players will be sold against the club's wishes and Hoolahan, 31, is contracted to the club until June 2015.

"The club will make no further comment at this time."

Norwich's board rejected the offer from Villa outright and refused to countenance the idea of Hoolahan leaving Carrow Road in the January transfer window.

Canaries boss Chris Hughton last week also stressed his desire to keep the seven-cap midfielder on board, insisting he was instead focused on bringing in reinforcements rather than seeing players leave.

When asked if Hoolahan could be sold this month, Hughton said: "At the moment our concentration is on can we add to the squad? Can we improve the squad? Not on letting players go out.

"We've had a few injuries, especially in midfield, and then Michael Turner will be out for a while as well.

"We are trying as hard as we can (to sign players), the same as everybody else, but January is a notoriously bad time to bring in players.

"But they also have to be right for the club."

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport