Two major developments suggest Conor McGregor v Floyd Mayweather is close to happening
The fight of the century is closer to happening after two developments in the last 24 hours.
Firstly, legendary boxing trainer Freddie Roach revealed that UFC star Conor McGregor has approached him over training him amidst fervent speculation that he will take on the currently retired Floyd Mayweather in what reports have suggested will the highest grossing bout in boxing history.
Both Mayweather and McGregor have left strong hints over the last few days that the fight will actually happen.
Mayweather has said that it is "possible", while McGregor posted a mocked-up image of the pair going head-to-head on his Twitter account.
Roach, who has guided many boxers to world titles, admitted that McGregor's team have spoke to him, but refused to say it was solely for the potential Mayweather clash.
"'No [talk of Mayweather], just to train him,' Roach told Radio Rahim of BoxingScene.com.
MMA Vs Boxing. pic.twitter.com/qgl8tKvT5s— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) May 8, 2016
"They did ask me if I'll train him. I said 'sure, bring him down.' I'd like to see [him], meet the guy and see what he has. He seems like a nice guy."
Then secondly, Britsh fighter Amir Khan, who used to be trained by Roach, tweeted last night that the bout is "very close" to be made.
In his quotes on Sunday, Mayweather said about UFC featherweight champion McGregor, who he has been involved in a war of words over the last few months:
"It's possible you know. Keep your fingers crossed, it may be a boxer versus an MMA fighter," Mayweather told fighthype.com.
"It was a name that was shot at me. It may not be a rumour."
It was reported last week that the billion-dollar boxing match was on the verge of being set, with Mayweather pocketing £100 million and McGregor picking up £7 million for the Las Vegas mega-fight.
The 39-year-old Mayweather hung up his gloves last September after an undefeated career of 49 wins.
Independent News Service