'They can run. But they can't hide' - Conor McGregor and Co react to Jose Aldo pulling out of UFC 189
Published 01/07/2015 | 07:52
For the fifth time in his illustrious career, Jose Aldo has been forced to pull out of a UFC featherweight title fight.
Ireland's Conor McGregor must now fight Chad Mendes for an interim title after the undefeated Brazilian succumbed to a rib injury he suffered in sparring.
The UFC had released a statement last week to say that the fight was to go ahead and that Aldo had not fractured his ribs in the training accident but there were conflicting reports over the weekend as to the validity of the diagnosis and not the fight is off.
Following initial rumours of the fight being cancelled, Aldo attempted to recover in time to still compete on the pay-per-view card, but was forced to pull out.
“Aldo's rib is too painful and he will not be fighting," UFC president Dana White told the programme.
“Chad Mendes will fight Conor McGregor for the interim belt. It's (Aldo's) decision. I don't feel great about it.
“We've spent a lot of money promoting this fight and a lot of people were excited.
“It's definitely disappointing."
McGregor reacted to the news in true McGregor fashion and commented: "If a man is scared for his life, we can not force him to step inside and fight me.
"Doctors have cleared him to fight -- it's a bruise -- but he still pulled out.
“Rightfully so, the belt should be taken from him and we will contest for the interim belt or, in my opinion, the real belt."
Watch McGregor's reaction to the news below:
His previous advice was: “A little bit of ibuprofen and a little bit of toughen the f**k up”
The bullish Dubliner has predicted that he will beat Mendes inside four minutes. Having already said that Aldo would pull out of the fight injured, who are we to argue with Mystic Mac?
Here has been some of the Twitter reaction to the news of Aldo's exit:
They can run. But they can't hide.— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) July 1, 2015
Bottled it.— Cathal Pendred (@Pendred) July 1, 2015
Let's do this!— Coach Kavanagh (@John_Kavanagh) July 1, 2015
Pulling out of a title defence once is unlucky. Pulling out of a title defence for 5th time is ridiculous, amateur preparation.— David Mullins (@DavidMullinsMMA) July 1, 2015
I'd imagine a very pissed off nation tomorrow morning. I'm sure the heatwave will end, too. Luck of the Irish. My arse! #UFC189— Niall McGrath (@niallmcgrath4) July 1, 2015