Nate Diaz describes Conor McGregor's desire for rematch at welterweight as 'funny'
Nate Diaz has claimed it is laughable that Conor McGregor is on course to be granted a rematch against him at welterweight for UFC 200.
Diaz choked out the Crumlin fighter at UFC 196 on March 5 to stun the world of mixed-martial-arts.
McGregor had been expected to return to defend his featherweight title in a rematch against Jose Aldo or a fight with number one contender Frankie Edgar but renowned MMA journalist Ariel Helwani has claimed that McGregor wishes to face Diaz again at 170lb.
“Make no mistake about it, the reason why this is happening at 170lbs is because, to be frank, Conor McGregor is a bit of a wildman,” said Helwani.
“He is obsessed with the idea that he lost to Nate Diaz at 170lbs, he feels like he should have won and he wants the same circumstances, the same rules, the same stipulations. He wants to do it again and prove that he is the better man."
Diaz believes it is comical that McGregor is on the cusp of being granted his wish.
“I lost plenty of decisions and I’ve never got a rematch, to this day,” he told Rolling Stone.
“So, that’s crazy. Conor got worked over and now they’re saying, ‘rematch,’ which makes sense. I understand that. I just think it’s funny because, it’s like, Jose Aldo didn’t get a rematch.”
Diaz said that if he hadn't choked out McGregor that a knockout blow was not far away.
“[The fight with] Conor -- that was on the way to being a knockout,” he claimed.
“He was getting handed some solid s**t. He got on me for the takedown because he was done.”
The American revealed that his main aim was to fight for the lightweight title against Rafael Dos Anjos, who beat him on a unanimous decision in 2014.
“I would like to fight the lightweight title,” he added.