Sport MMA

Saturday 1 October 2016

'I'm next' - Conor McGregor's potential next opponent throws down gauntlet

Published 14/12/2015 | 11:04

Franke Edgar
Franke Edgar

Frankie Edgar says he desperately wants to take on Conor McGregor at UFC 195 and admitted he would be "floored" if he is overlooked in favour of another fighter.

  • Go To

The former lightweight champ moved high up the pecking order with a first-round knockout of three-time title challenger Chad Mendes at The Ultimate Fighter 22 Finale last week and has his sights set on 'The Notorious' after he dismantled Jose Aldo to claim the unified UFC featherweight title in Las Vegas.

Edgar posted a picture on his various social media accounts with a special message for McGregor and UFC boss Dana White.

"That feeling after a big win Tho! Tell @danawhiteufc and @thenotoriousmma I'm the next fight to make. #DontLeaveSoQuickly."

Edgar said a verbal agreement was in place with White over a fight, which could take place in New York, and would be disappointed if it doesn't come to pass.

“I’d be floored,” he told MMA Junkie when asked what would happen if he didn’t get the title shot. “That’s what I’m hoping doesn’t happen. Fingers crossed.”

Speaking about the possibility of facing Edgar next, which would be a change in weight division, McGregor seemed open to the prospect of facing the New Jersey native.

"The options are there now," he said. "Frankie had a good win [ over Mendes], that could be for the featherweight belt. Maybe the Jose rematch or maybe the 155lb (lightweight) strap. Options are a good thing in the fight game."

"I am looking to replicate what I did in my previous promotion, two-weight world champion, held consecutively. I said I would do it, and I'll do it," added McGregor, who now has his eyes on matching the biggest sporting paydays.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport