'I am back on UFC 200' - Conor McGregor announces return after war of words with Dana White
Published 25/04/2016 | 07:08
Conor McGregor has claimed he has been added back on the card for UFC 200 following a row that saw him announce his 'retirement' last week.
The Dublin born fighter tweeted this morning: "Happy to announce that I am BACK on UFC 200! Shout out to @danawhite and @lorenzofertitta on getting this one done for the fans. #Respect"
McGregor appeared to be out of the running for a rematch with Nate Diaz at UFC 200 when Ultimate Fighting Championship President Dana White ruled out any possibility of the Dubliner fighting on the card, despite the Irishman backtracking on his 'retirement' and saying he was still training to face Diaz.
McGregor was pulled from the July 9 rematch in Las Vegas after he refused to travel to Nevada for promotional appearances.
McGregor, who surged through the featherweight ranks before knocking out champion Jose Aldo of Brazil in 13 seconds in December, has become the UFC's hottest property with his outrageous trash-talking and vicious fighting skills.
Over the weekend, White acknowledged McGregor's importance to the UFC but said he would not be fighting on the card.
"I want him to fight, but it's not right," White said. "Conor has a huge fan base, people love to see him fight ... But UFC 200 is going to go on (without him)."
Earlier in the week, the Irishman criticised the media circus surrounding the sport and hinted at retirement, before later clarifying that he planned to continue fighting.
On his Facebook page, McGregor said the promotional and media obligations had become a distraction.
"I have become lost in the game of promotion and forgot about the art of fighting," he said. "There comes a time when you need to stop handing out flyers and get back to the damn shop."
Diaz, who stunned McGregor in their fight in March, said he was not interested in meeting anyone else and would instead go "on vacation."
There is likely to be much more said about this entire matter before McGregor and Diaz go at it again at UFC 200, particularly when the Dubliner faces the media in New York in the build up to the rematch.
There is no doubt that with over two months to the fight, this will be McGregor and the UFC's most-talked about event so far.
Read more here:
- Jon Jones beats Ovince Saint Preux to set up clash with Daniel Cormier at UFC 200
- Joe Brolly on the 'vicious backlash' he received for his MMA column last weekend
- 'I'm going on vacation'- Nate Diaz to shun UFC 200 unless he's fighting Conor McGregor
- Conor McGregor told he will not fight at UFC 200