Tuesday 27 June 2017

Dana White confirms proposed date for McGregor v Mayweather but fears fight may never happen

Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor takes place in Las Vegas in August
Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor takes place in Las Vegas in August

Gareth A Davies

UFC president Dana White admitted on Wednesday that negotiations for a cross-code mega-fight between boxer Floyd Mayweather Jnr and the UFC's cash cow Conor McGregor were problematic, having revealed at the weekend that the announcement of Gennady Golovkin against Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez had scuppered the September 16 date which was being discussed behind the scenes.

White went so far as to say it was "a nightmare" and that there will come a day when he will just walk away from the fight, which could potentially generate hundreds of millions of US dollars through pay per view sales.

"Listen, the reason they got my date is because I couldn't get my deal done on time," said White on a Fox Sports talk radio show.

"So they got the date. Life moves on, man, we don't wait for anybody. If the fights are going to keep rolling... I didn't get the deal done fast enough so I lose the date. That's how it works."

Nor indeed, White explained, were the talks for the contest close to being complete, either. "No no, I'm not hinting that it's getting close at all. I knew that this thing was going to be a nightmare to get done, if it can even be done. We'll find out. Obviously both guys want to fight each other, but what's the deal? Can the deal be done? That's the question."

McGregor's girlfriend, Dee Devlin, gave birth to their son Conor Jack McGregor in Dublin last Friday, and White admitted that both sides - McGregor and Mayweather - have failed to agree, citing that he was growing tired of 'Mayweather's crap', but adding: "Oh yeah. It's not even Mayweather, it's definitely both sides. It's not just Mayweather, both sides of this thing are going to be hard to get done and absolutely there's going to be a point where I'm done. This isn't what I do, this isn't my business and I'm definitely going to walk away.

"Either way, it doesn't matter to me [how it will land for him personally if it doesn't work]," White told Fox Sports Herd radio show. "I know that these two guys want to fight, I've said many times that I respect Conor and I'd like to do this fight for him. But it's got to be the right deal, we have to get the right deal done or it's not going to happen.

"Because at the end of the day, this isn't what I do. The UFC is what I do and I should be focusing on that and not a boxing match. Obviously a lot of people want to see it and there's a lot of interest in it, but it's not really what I do."

Telegraph.co.uk

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport