Conor McGregor v Floyd Mayweather: Final hurdle cleared as Dana White admits fight will happen
UFC President Dana White has said that he thinks a proposed crossover bout between undefeated boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr and UFC Lightweight champion Conor McGregor will go ahead despite the Irishman being contracted under the UFC.
White told The Telegraph last month that a Mayweather-McGregor fight without the UFC’s involvement "would be the stupidest move he has ever made" as a promoter, but now the UFC boss thinks the fight will happen citing the potential earnings involved as a big factor.
"I do think it’s gonna happen," White said on Conan O’Brien on Wednesday.
"I think it’s going to be a tough deal, because obviously [there are] a lot of egos involved in this deal and a lot of people, so that always makes it tougher. On the flip side, there’s so much money involved. I just don’t see how it doesn’t happen.
"Conor McGregor is huge. He’s 27 years old. He’s in the prime of his career. Floyd is 40.
"Floyd has always had a problem with southpaws. Conor is a southpaw and Conor hits hard.
"When he hits people, they go. Floyd’s definitely not knocking him out — that’s for sure. I’m not saying that Conor would win this boxing match, but it sure makes it interesting."
According to MMA website FloCombat, the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas has been put on hold for a possible mega-fight between the two fighters on June 10, however, neither McGregor nor Mayweather have confirmed that the bout is officially scheduled.
However, last weekend Mayweather said at an event in Liverpool that he was "officially coming out of retirement" to fight McGregor, while highlighting this summer as a tentative timeline for the proposed fight.
"Today, I’m officially out of retirement for Conor McGregor," said Mayweather.
"We don’t need to waste no time. We need to make this s**t happen quickly. Let’s get it on in June."