Thursday 17 August 2017

Confirmed: Conor McGregor will face Nate Diaz in August

McGregor and Diaz in action
McGregor and Diaz in action
Louise Kelly

Louise Kelly

It has been confirmed that Conor McGregor will face Nate Diaz at UFC 202 in Las Vegas in August.

Dubliner McGregor suffered defeat against Diaz (30) in the second round when they met earlier this year.

Since then, there has been much rumours and speculation as to what 27-year-old McGregor's next move would be.

The pair were due to have a rematch on July 9 at UFC 200 but the bout was scrapped over a dispute between McGregor and UFC organisers over his media duties for the card.

MMA officially announced the matchup during the pay-per-view UFC 199 show at the Forum last night.

"Aug. 20 is the date for the highly-anticipated rematch between two UFC superstars, as Nate Diaz looks to repeat his March win over Conor McGregor in the main event of UFC 202 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas," a UFC statement read.

Conor McGregor has said he prepared poorly for his earlier fight with Nate Diaz
Conor McGregor has said he prepared poorly for his earlier fight with Nate Diaz

"The bout, which was originally scheduled for UFC 200 on July 9, was announced on the UFC 199 Pay-Per-View broadcast Saturday night."

More to follow...

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport