Monday 25 September 2017

'Paulie was brought in so that McGregor could get some payback' - Michael Conlan on McGregor-Malignaggi conflict

Independent.ie Sportsdesk

Olympic bronze medalist Michael Conlan has said that he believes that the only reason that former WBA welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi was brought into Conor McGregor's training camp was so that McGregor could exact some revenge for comments that Malignaggi had previously made.

Malignaggi was brought into McGregor's camp last month ahead of the Dubliner's professional boxing debut against Floyd Mayweather Jr. this month, however, in a rather spectacular turn of events, the 36-year-old decided to leave the UFC fighter's camp last week after photos were leaked showing the American under pressure on the ropes and lying on the canvas during a recent sparring session between the two fighters.

Malignaggi would later call McGregor a 'scumbag' and a 'd***head' for allowing the photos to be released, but Conlan, who was accompanied to the ring by McGregor for his professional boxing debut back in March, said that he believes the only reason Malignaggi was brought into the camp was so that McGregor could get some paypback on Malignaggi, after the Brooklyn native had said that McGregor was going to 'embarrass himself' against Mayweather and that he was disrespecting the sport of boxing by taking the fight with the undefeated American.

"Maybe after Paulie was talking sh*t the first time, Conor may have wanted to embarrass him," Conlan told Villainfy Media on Monday.

"I think he's been successful in doing that. Putting the picture up of Paulie on the ground. I'm not going to say whether it was a KO, or a knockdown, or a push, because I don't know so I can't comment, but Paulie is adamant that it was a push.

"If that's the case that's the case, but I think McGregor was just going in to try and embarrass him by putting up photos like that."

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport