Luke Shaw £27m move to United 'agreed' with only personal terms outstanding
Published 12/05/2014 | 12:48
Manchester United have refused to comment on reports that they have reached a £27m agreement with Southampton for the transfer of England left-back Luke Shaw.
The 18-year-old looks set to be included in Roy Hodgson’s England squad for the World Cup after Ashley Cole confirmed he has been omitted from the squad, and The Mirror are reporting that United have swooped for Shaw as soon as the season ended following their 1-1 draw with Sainst on Sunday.
It is said that a fee between £25m and £27m has been agreed and that the move hinges on personal terms, with the former Premier League champions willing to treble his current wages to £75,000.
Talks between the club and player are believed to be a formality, and the move could be completed well before the start of the World Cup, which kicks off on 12 June. Shaw’s arrival would confirm the expected departure of long-serving left-back Patrice Evra, with the Frenchman out of contract at the end of June.
The 32-year-old is expected to head back to mainland Europe with interest believed to be coming from France and Italy, and with no suggestions that an extension will be offered to the France international, he is set to leave Old Trafford to make way for Shaw.
Former United manager David Moyes saw attempts to bring in both Leighton Baines and Fabio Coentrao fail during the season, but it appears that United will get their man in Shaw even though they are yet to appoint a permanent replacement for Moyes.
An announcement could be made this week over who will take the United job, with the current favourite Louis van Gaal widely expected to be named as the new man in charge. The Dutchman is preparing his Netherlands side for their World Cup assault, but has already confirmed he is leaving his role with the Dutch national team after the tournament in Brazil.
With interim manager Ryan Giggs leading the side for the final time (for now) in Sunday’s draw, the hope is that the club’s hierarchy can persuade Van Gaal to take on Giggs within his coaching staff.
With Cole announcing his retirement from international football following his omission from the squad, Shaw looks set to challenge Baines for the starting left-back role next month, and he may not be the only player who leaves St Mary’s this season.
Captain Adam Lallana is attracting serious interest from Premier League runners-up Liverpool, and while manager Brendan Rodgers admitted last week that he regards the England midfielder as a “young talent” who will attract interest from the best clubs.
"Adam is a terrific young talent,” said the Northern Irishman. “There is always speculation about young talent.”
Southampton chairman Ralph Krueger has also admitted that he wouldn’t be surprised if a number of Saints’ players garnered interest this summer, given their impressive season that saw them finish eighth this season.
“The reason people look at our players is because the club does an excellent job developing them,” Krueger said when speaking to the BBC before the rumours emerged..
“It should be difficult here every summer.”