Leinster release Douglas
Published 23/07/2015 | 15:27
Kane Douglas could challenge for a place in Australia's World Cup squad after being released from his Leinster contract with immediate effect.
In a statement, Leinster said "a suitable agreement" had been reached for 26-year-old Douglas to leave the province.
The 14 times-capped lock was one season into a three-year deal, and speculation Down Under is that he will now join the Brisbane-based Queensland Reds.
The Wallabies are currently in Argentina preparing for Saturday's Rugby Championship clash against the Pumas, but it is thought Douglas could now commence training with the national squad building towards two appointments with world champions New Zealand next month.
"Leinster Rugby can confirm that a suitable agreement has been reached to release second-row Kane Douglas from his contract with the province with immediate effect," Leinster said.
"Douglas made a total of 20 appearances for Leinster last season before missing the tail-end of the season with a back injury.
"Leinster Rugby would like to wish Kane and Jennarly the best of luck as they return home, and wish Kane well as he competes for World Cup selection with the Wallabies."