Wimbledon bans selfie sticks for tennis fans
Published 26/04/2015 | 22:30
The uprising against selfie sticks continues as Wimbledon has become the latest high profile venue to ban the devices.
In what may come as a blow for tennis fans hoping to capture the perfect picture of themselves at the championships, the All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC) warned selfie sticks will not be allowed in.
A ticketholders' guide for this year's tournament says: "In common with many other major sports and entertainment events and cultural attractions, The Championships will not allow 'selfie sticks' into the grounds."
A spokesman for the AELTC told the Sunday Times that the move was brought in partly because of the "nuisance value" but "primarily so it doesn't interfere with spectators' enjoyment".
Selfie sticks proved immensely popular among those swept up in the phenomenon of taking pictures of themselves using smartphones.
Boris Johnson, Beyonce and Barack Obama - who used one during a video promotion at the White House - are among those seen with the devices.
However, they have met increasing resistance in recent months.
Earlier this year they were banned from the National Gallery. The venue in Trafalgar Square, central London, placed the devices in the same category as tripods, which are already prohibited, and the move prompted other cultural venues to consider following suit.
Tottenham Hotspur banned them from White Hart Lane after a complaint from a fan, while they have also been barred at a number of galleries and museums in the US and France.