Video: Leyton Orient president given six-match ban and fine for kicking assistant manager
Published 16/01/2016 | 10:53
Leyton Orient president Francesco Becchetti has been handed a six-match ban for kicking assistant manager Andy Hessenthaler - despite the club claiming the incident had been "good-natured"
The Italian, who has also been given a £40,000 fine, was seen on TV kicking the former Gillingham stalwart immediately after Orient's 3-2 home win against Portsmouth on Boxing Day.
In the aftermath of the incident (below), Orient claimed that the kick was "part of an ongoing good-natured exchange between the two over the past few weeks".
However, a statement from the Football Association said their independent body had found him guilty of violent conduct.
"Francesco Becchetti will serve a six-match stadium ban after a charge of violent conduct against him was found proven, following an independent regulatory commission hearing.
"The suspension has been stayed pending any decision regarding an appeal.
"The Leyton Orient president and club owner admitted his behaviour at the end of the game against Portsmouth on December 26, 2015 amounted to improper conduct, however, he denied it was violent.
"Along with his match-day ban from six first-team matches in approved competitions, Mr Becchetti was also fined £40,000 and warned as to his future conduct."
In a statement on 6 January, Orient said: "In response to the misconduct charge brought by the Football Association, we can confirm that Mr Becchetti, Leyton Orient's president, has admitted improper conduct, but strongly denies violent conduct.
"Mr Becchetti has requested a personal hearing."
They are yet to comment on the verdict.
Independent News Service