Sunday 25 September 2016

Oops! An American cyclist started a 73-acre fire after a trip to the loo

Published 26/07/2015 | 14:09

The damage caused by the fire
The damage caused by the fire

You wouldn’t see this at the Tour de France.

  • Go To

Chris Froome may have been doused with urine by an unruly fan en route to claiming the Yellow Jersey, but that is nothing compared to what happened to this American cyclist.

According to SB Nation, the unnamed man was out for a cycle in Boise, Idaho, when he burnt his toilet paper after stopping to use the bathroom, as he didn’t want to leave any waste behind. Unbeknownst to him, the embers hadn’t been properly extinguished and he accidentally started a 73-acre fire in the countryside.

According to the Boise fire department Facebook page, 5 brush rigs (an off-road truck), a water tender (a large truck used to carry water), 5 command staff, 2 helicopters, 2 bulldozers, and 4 fire engines were needed to control the blaze – even if you aren’t a fire brigade aficionado, that sounds like a lot of manpower.

The man has since turned himself in, and the authorities are considering whether to charge him with a crime or hold him financially responsible for all the resources used.

"I guess when you gotta go, you gotta go," local official, Carrie Bilbao, told local TV station KTVB.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport