Tuohy still 'optimistic' over players
Published 22/01/2010 | 05:00
A MEMBER of the Limerick hurling management insisted last night that he remains optimistic that the two dozen players who are refusing to play under manager Justin McCarthy will reverse their decision, WRITES CLIONA FOLEY.
Earlier this week the 24 players who have been dropped or subsequently left McCarthy's panel in protest, finally broke their silence in the three-month row and stressed that they will not return while the current management is in place.
Yet selector John Tuohy (Patrickswell) repeated that the door still remains open to them and said he will continue to try to persuade them to return this season.
"I'd be very optimistic about them coming back," said Tuohy, who was ratified as a selector in Justin McCarthy's backroom team earlier this week.
"There has been ongoing dialogue between myself and the players and that will continue. I've known most of these lads since they were 12 or 14 and they are good, decent guys.
"I think each player, individually, will himself make his own decision in time and I'd be very optimistic about it because they all want to hurl for Limerick."
The dispute which has divided opinion in the county took a dramatic twist earlier this week when the exiled players eventually broke their silence to outline their grievances with McCarthy and the County Board, when they, noticeably, paid tribute to Tuohy's "open-minded" attempts at mediation.
Yet despite the fact that their statement was released the night before Tuesday's County Board meeting not one club raised the matter from the floor.
McCarthy (above) got club support, before Christmas, to stay and has vowed to continue, despite having only six of last year's panel on his new-look 2010 squad.