Friday 22 September 2017

Treaty admit defeat in bid for replay as DRA throw out appeal

A 'miss' is displayed on the big screen following a decision made as a result of Hawk-Eye
A 'miss' is displayed on the big screen following a decision made as a result of Hawk-Eye
Donnchadh Boyle

Donnchadh Boyle

ANY doubt as to whether Sunday's All-Ireland minor hurling final would go ahead has been eradicated after Limerick exhausted all avenues of appeal arising from their controversial defeat in last month's semi-final.

The Shannonsiders have been locked in an appeal process since they had a point disallowed in error by Hawk-Eye in their last-four clash with Galway.

The game finished 0-16 apiece after 60 minutes, during which time Barry Nash scored a point which was incorrectly ruled wide by Hawk-Eye, before the Connacht side won after extra-time.

Having followed procedures through the various committees of the GAA, Limerick took their appeal to the highest possible level, the Disputes Resolutions Authority (DRA), in a bid to have authorities re-examine the case –or award them the game.

A document of more than 70 pages was submitted to the meeting in Tullamore but Limerick officials were informed that their appeal had failed.

The DRA confirmed the decision on their website with a brief statement.

"The DRA Tribunal appointed to hear this case refused the relief sought by Coiste Chontae Luimneach."

Process

Limerick's young hurlers had continued to train throughout the process but the county's officials are said to have dropped the issue and the way has been cleared for Galway to take on Waterford in Sunday's decider.

Galway minor captain Daragh Dolan insisted the saga had little effect on his side as they were preparing for their next game, whether it was to be an All-Ireland final or a replay with the Munster champions.

"It has been made clear now anyway," Dolan said at the Electric Ireland pre-final press event. "We were always training away, we never let it into the camp. We had our focus on the next game whoever it was going to be."

Dolan, who won an All-Ireland club medal with St Thomas' this year, dismissed any suggestion that their semi-final win had been tarnished by the debacle.

"We made our statement in the semi-final in how we got through the game. We proved ourselves with how we won in extra-time so I don't think we feel any pressure like that," he said.

Elsewhere, Westmeath have pushed their county board meeting back by a week to next Wednesday as they continue to deliberate on who will be their senior football boss next year.

Three names – incumbent Pat Flanagan, John Maughan and Jack Sheedy – have their names in the hat yet the county board can look beyond those nominations.

Indo Sport

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport