Limerick door open for Moran and Foley
Published 11/02/2011 | 05:00
An open invitation remains for veteran hurlers Ollie Moran and Mark Foley to return to the Limerick squad.
Manager Donal O'Grady revealed yesterday that he had offered both the opportunity to come back.
Moran (35) quit inter-county hurling after the 2009 All-Ireland semi-final defeat to Tipperary and is unlikely to return. Foley, though, could yet make himself available.
"We got in contact with all the players from 2010 and all the players from '09. I asked Ollie and Mark if they were interested, just to clarify the situation because they were the only two players who had retired," said O'Grady, who took over in October.
"Because of the unrest last year maybe they had retired just because of that. Mark said to me that he hadn't made any fast decision. I said, 'Look, if you want to, you can come in and train with us or join us for fitness levels and we'll see where you are.'
"What we decided in the end is that he would train away himself and we will have a look at things in April. That was the same with Ollie. Whether they will come back or not, I'm not quite sure."
O'Grady also confirmed that he would be sticking by his original plan to step down after just one season.
"I made a decision to come in for the year and that's it," he said. "We can't look into the future. But if at the end of the year I've left them in a better place, I'll be happy enough."
That much is sure to be achieved, given how Limerick struggled last year due to the rifts over Justin McCarthy's tenure as manager.
O'Grady says he is unsure about the balance of players from the 2010 and 2009 squads.
"There could be three or four, there could be five or six. I didn't go through them meticulously to see who was on the 2010 panel and who was on the 2009 panel," he said.
"My history with Limerick started on January 2 when we had our first training session. It is the 2011 team now that is important. If you are looking back all the time, you can't go forward.
"The one thing I will say is that there doesn't seem to be any animosity between players who did play last year and the players who left the scene."