Thursday 27 July 2017

Galway to take 'whatever time it requires' to decide on new hurling boss

Former Galway hurling manager John McIntyre
Former Galway hurling manager John McIntyre
Cliona Foley

Cliona Foley

GALWAY hurling fans are going to have to wait longer for a new manager.

John McIntyre's successor was expected to be named at a hurling board meeting last night, but it was cancelled and the board released a statement saying this was because "the selection committee have not completed the process which would enable them to propose a new Galway senior hurling manager."

A seven-man committee interviewed the three candidates -- U-21 boss Anthony Cunningham, John Kelly (Portumna) and Micheal Donoghue (Clarinbridge) -- last week but want further time to deliberate.

It is believed the announcement will be delayed at least until Donoghue is back in the country. He is currently in Australia for a week as part of a prize that Clarinbridge won in a national club competition.

Galway hurling board chairman Joe Byrne said yesterday they would take as much time as they feel is was needed.

"This is a huge appointment for Galway hurling. The person who is selected will be in position for the next three years -- there will not be a review until after the second year, so we need to get it right," he said.

strong

"We are in the good position that we have three strong candidates. There are a number of issues to be sorted out and that will take some time. We thought we would have the process finalised by now, but we will take whatever time it requires."

The three candidates have already named their prospective back-room teams. Cunningham, who led Galway to this year's All-Ireland U-21 title, has Tom Helebert and Mattie Kenny on board, while former Hurler of the Year Tony Keady and ex-Antrim manager Dinny Cahill are on the Kelly ticket.

Despite speculation that Donoghue would have former Tipperary coach Eamon O'Shea among his back-room, he has formally named Noel Burke of Clarinbridge and former Galway forward Francis Forde as his proposed selectors.

Reigning All-Ireland SHC club champions Clarinbridge will find out today when their refixed county SHC semi-final will take place. Their clash with Craughwell had to be abandoned at half-time last Sunday and the refixture is likely next weekend.

The county intermediate final, between Moycullen and Kilimordaly, was already fixed for next weekend but, given the weather, a double-header of hurling games looks unlikely.

The refixed senior hurling clash, to decide who meets Gort in the final, looks likely to be on Saturday because the county senior football final, between Corofin and Tuam Stars, is already fixed for Sunday.

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport