Sunday 26 June 2016

EURO 2016 LATEST Visit Euro 2016 Hub

Fri 10th June

Sat 11th June

Sun 12th June

Mon 13th June

Tue 14th June

Wed 15th June

Thu 16th June

Fri 17th June

Sat 18th June

Sun 19th June

Mon 20th June

Sat 25th June

Today's Fixtures

Mon 27th June

Italy ITA

Spain ESP

17:00

England ENG

Iceland ISL

20:00


Officials deny Aintree link to horse-meat controversy

Published 14/02/2013 | 04:00

Racing has rebutted suggestions that horses who have died at Aintree have been caught up in the horse-meat scandal following revelations that one of the men being questioned, Peter Boddy, is contracted to remove carcasses at the course.

Boddy, whose slaughterhouse in Todmorden, West Yorkshire has been closed by the UK's Food Standards Agency after an investigation found horse carcasses had been used to make beefburgers and kebabs sold in Britain, has been employed at Aintree and Haydock to transport and dispose of carcasses, but officials said they were confident that no racehorse could enter the food chain.

There were two fatalities in last year's Grand National, the JP McManus-owned Synchronised and According To Pete, but sources said neither would have been dealt with by Boddy, with Aintree stressing it followed the strict guidlines that are in place.

Synchronised – which became McManus's first Cheltenham Gold Cup winner last March – was returned to trainer Jonjo O'Neill's yard and According To Pete was reportedly cremated.

All racecourses have a facility in place to collect and dispose of horses killed during a race. When injury occurs, veterinary advice must be followed and if a horse is put down, the carcass is usually disposed of by track staff. (©Daily Telegraph, London)

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport