Cork meeting off as weather set to cause further havoc
Cork's scheduled meeting for Saturday was yesterday abandoned due to waterlogging and an adverse weather forecast means that others could join it on the casualty list over the next few days.
As of last night, there were no official inspections in place for tomorrow's Punchestown card or Friday's two popular New Year's Day meetings at Fairyhouse and Tramore.
Both Punchestown and Fairyhouse were reported to be fit for racing, while Tramore was on Monday described as being unraceable.
An overnight forecast of between 25mm and 50mm of rainfall has officials nervously watching the skies.
"We are cautiously confident," said Fairyhouse track manager Peter Roe, who was echoing the sentiments of his colleagues at Punchestown.
"The track is fine at the moment, so it will come down to how much of the forecast rain we actually get. We could get anything up to 50mm, but we might miss a lot of it too, so it is impossible to call."
Today's point-to-point at Dromahane in Co Cork has also been postponed until Saturday, while yesterday's Limerick meeting had been scrapped on Monday night. The Munster venue also lost its busiest fixture of the year when its St Stephen's Day spread fell to the elements.
The official going at Punchestown and Fairyhouse was yesterday being given as heavy, while Naas, where they are due to race on Sunday, is being given as soft to heavy.