Sport Golf

Tuesday 6 December 2016

Tiger Woods out for rest of year after back surgery

The 14-times major champion, who had a similar procedure on his back in March 2014, hopes to return to competition in early 2016

Published 19/09/2015 | 15:45

Tiger Woods
Tiger Woods

Tiger Woods, the former world No 1, announced on Friday that he underwent back surgery earlier this week and will be sidelined for the rest of this year.

  • Go To

The 14-times major champion, who had a similar procedure on his back in March 2014, hopes to return to competition in early 2016.

"This is certainly disappointing, but I'm a fighter," Woods, 39, said in a statement. "I've been told I can make a full recovery, and I have no doubt that I will."

As a result of the microdiscectomy surgery, which was performed in Park City, Utah on Wednesday, Woods will not be able to compete in the Oct 15-18 Frys.com Open as he had initially planned.

"With the upcoming off-season, the decision was made to remove a small disc fragment that was pinching his nerve. The microsurgery was a complete success, and he was discharged Thursday night," Woods said.

"I appreciate the fans' concern and support. This is unfortunate, but these things happen. I've been injured before and played again. It won't be any different this time."

Woods has won 79 PGA Tour titles as well as 14 majors but has not won a major since the 2008 US Open and missed the cut at this year's US Open, the Open and the US PGA Championship.

Telegraph.co.uk

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport