Tiger drops out of world's top 20
Published 26/07/2011 | 05:00
TIGER WOODS has tumbled out of the world top 20 for the first time since January 1997.
The former undisputed No 1 has fallen from eighth to 21st in the 11 weeks he has been sidelined by injury since quitting after nine hole of The Players at Sawgrass with left knee and Achilles tendon problems.
Woods is tentatively expected to return to action in next week's Bridgestone WGC Championship at Firestone, followed by the US PGA in Atlanta, though it's unclear if he's been able to resume full-swing practice, never mind play.
There were interesting moves in the betting market yesterday as the odds against Dublin caddie Colin Byrne replacing sacked Steve Williams on Tiger's bag were slashed from 33/1 to 7/2, though Paul Tessori, a friend of Woods who works for fellow American Webb Simpson, is 2/1 favourite.
As for his dismissal of Williams, the grapevine suggests that Tiger, despite giving the New Zealander permission to caddie for Adam Scott at the US Open, had issues with him working for the Aussie at the AT&T National.
Tournament host Woods fired Williams that Sunday evening in Aronimink.
Lisa Maguire lets her clubs do the talking
LISA MAGUIRE'S clubs did all the talking last weekend.
Her stirring four-stroke victory at the European Women's Amateur Championship said it all, exposing the absurdity of the decision to leave the 16-year-old out of the Great Britain and Ireland team which was given a record spanking by Continental Europe at last month's Vagliano Trophy.
And by picking just one of Slieve Russell's gifted Maguire twins -- Leona -- for the Vagliano tournament and leaving Lisa at home, the Ladies Golf Union -- the umbrella body for women's golf in these islands -- engaged in a blatant act of political point-scoring.
Lisa's victory at the windswept Noordwijkse Golf Club in the Netherlands on Saturday proved that, in sport, true class always prevails... and showed up the buffoonery which blights many a committee room.
Canadian Open delight for O'Hair
SEAN O'HAIR claimed victory at the Canadian Open on Sunday -- a bogey on the first play-off hole was enough to beat Kris Blanks in the PGA Tour's first non-Major without a bogey-free round since 2008.
Former British Open champion John Daly registered his first US top-10 in six years.
"I'll take a ton of positives out of this," he said after signing for the final-round 72 that sealed a share of ninth place at Shaughnessy in Vancouver.