Monday 5 December 2016

McIlroy to get back on course as he reconsiders break talk

Karl MacGinty

Published 15/04/2010 | 05:00

Rory McIlroy has reconsidered last week's decision to take a complete break from golf. Photo: Getty Images
Rory McIlroy has reconsidered last week's decision to take a complete break from golf. Photo: Getty Images

RORY McILROY has reconsidered last week's decision to take a complete break from golf.

  • Go To

After missing the cut at The Masters last Friday, the crestfallen youngster said he needed to clear his head and probably would not play tour golf until next month's BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth.

Yet McIlroy has gone back on that hasty decision, confirming that he will return to action, as planned, at The Quail Hollow Championship in the US the week after next.

And he'll also tee it up at the PGA Tour's showpiece Players Championship the following week.

hampered

"I was just off the golf course when I made those remarks and I maybe just over-reacted a bit," the 20-year-old said. "I wasn't really thinking straight, having just missed the cut in a Major for the first time."

McIlroy has been hampered by a back injury since January and it undermined both his form and his morale as he embarked on his new career this year as a full member of the US Tour.

The Holywood youngster cut a sorry figure at Augusta National last Friday as his Masters campaign came to a premature close after just 36 holes.

"I don't know what's going on," he said after a second-round 77 sent him tumbling to seven-over and out of the Masters. "I just need to take a bit of a break and get away from it for a while, then come back refreshed.

"I don't think my attitude on the course is very good at the minute. I'm getting frustrated very easily and getting down on myself. I think I just need to go home for a few weeks and get my head sorted," he added.

Yet after a few days reflection, McIlroy said: "I've got a couple of weeks off now, so I'll put in some good work and should be in the right frame of mind to go to America and improve on my performances. I will hopefully be refreshed and ready to play some good golf as I want to get back into the top 10 in the world."

Skipping Quail Hollow and The Players could have had a serious knock-on effect for McIlroy later in the season as he tried to complete the 15-tournament schedule required of full members of the PGA Tour -- not to mention the prizemoney on offer at Sawgrass, the richest tournament in professional golf.

McIlroy described his week at the Masters as "pretty frustrating. I felt as if I played OK, but didn't get much out of the week."

Tiger Woods, meanwhile, looks set to take part in June's US Open after submitting an entry form to the United States Golf Association.

Mike Davis, USGA senior director of rules and competitions said: "Tiger has certainly filed an entry, and we're certainly anticipating that he's going to play.

"If someone who is fully exempt files an entry, generally speaking, they always do play."

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport