Monday 27 June 2016

EURO 2016 LATEST Visit Euro 2016 Hub

Fri 10th June

Sat 11th June

Sun 12th June

Mon 13th June

Tue 14th June

Wed 15th June

Thu 16th June

Fri 17th June

Sat 18th June

Sun 19th June

Mon 20th June

Sat 25th June

Sun 26th June

Today's Fixtures

Italy ITA

Spain ESP


England ENG

Iceland ISL


Thu 30th June

Poland POL

Portugal POR


Fri 01st July

Wales WAL

Belgium BEL


Galway land under-21 crown in thriller

Published 04/05/2013 | 20:40

Jamie Wall, Cork, in action against Shane Walsh, Galway.
Jamie Wall, Cork, in action against Shane Walsh, Galway.

Galway are the All-Ireland under-21 football champions for 2013 after defeating Cork by 1-14 to 1-11 at the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick.

The superior finishing of Ian Burke, Shane Walsh and Cathal Mulryan was vital but their defending was first class.

At one stage in the second period Cork trailed by nine and they deserve huge credit for the character they showed to get themselves back in the game.

Galway made the better opening with the accurate Shane Walsh kicking over two frees.

Damien Cahalane got the Rebels off the mark when he came up from full-back and slotted over a 45.

A fine brace from marauding wing-forward Cathal Mulryan helped the Tribesmen  stretch their advantage.

A superb point from Adrian Varley, a brace from the industrious Ian Burke  and another Walsh free had Galway firmly in the driving seat.

Ian Burke was dissecting the uprights again soon afterwards but late frees from Dan MacEoin made it 9-0 to 0-5 at the break in favour of the Connacht champions.

Cork needed a spark and Brian Hurley provided it with two superb scores to reduce the arrears.

Ian Burke, this time off his left, responded for Galway but Dan MacEoin cancelled it out when he whipped over a point with his trusty left foot.

Cathal Mulryan scored his third point of the night and Shane Walsh added to it with another successful free.

Galway got a huge shot in the arm when great hands in the worsening conditions set up Damien Comer who blasted to the net.

When Paul Varley and David Cullane put Galway into a nine point lead it was looking ominous for the Rebels but they rallied admirably.

First Alan Cadogan pointed before Brian Hurley found the top corner with an audacious shot to make it a five point game.

Substitute Cathal Vaughan and a huge free from Dan MacEoin made it a three point game.

Shane Walsh missed a few frees for Galway as they struggled to copperfasten their lead.

Cork tried desperately to find the goal the goal that would force extra time but Galway stood firm to claim the title.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport